Monday, January 11, 2010

Green with envy...

I am totally suffering from a bad case of envy...Kindle envy. You know, Amazon.com's wireless reading device that is Amazon's best selling product ever. I want one. I really, really, WANT ONE!!! I've done more than hinted to Dear Hubby, for about 2 years, that he could get me one for my birthday, our anniversary, Mother's Day, Christmas, Valentines Day, election day, arbor day, Friday the 13th, Chinese New Year, "whatever day I get a Kindle day"; but, alas, I remain Kindleless.

Notice I didn't say bookless. I've got 26 unread books sitting on my "about to read" shelf and hundreds of others (read and unread and reference) around the house. They're different sizes with colorful covers and interesting fonts...but they're not inside the Kindle! I'm currently reading 2 of these 26 "about to read" books. I have to lug around these books everywhere I go just in case I have a few minutes to read. One of them is even hardback! I checked on Amazon.com (and, of course, saw the Kindle front-and-center on the page, calling to me...): the paperback I'm currently reading weighs a whopping 1.4 pounds. The hardback also weighs over a pound; and remember, I'm carrying both of these books around. Sheeesh! (I wonder what my purse weighs?...hmmmm)

The Kindle, however, is only 1/3" thick and weighs 10.2 ounces. According to the website, I could have the 26 books I plan to read this year PLUS another 1474 books inside ONE Kindle...and it would still weigh 10.2 ounces. Do you see why I'm green with envy?

Speaking of green, think of all the trees I could save if I owned a Kindle. It's an environmental duty to own this device, right? Sure, it's a little pricey on the front end; but, it would pay for itself with the savings in Kindle book downloads ($9.99 or less), right?

Hmmmm....

I wonder if you can sell your used Kindle books? Guess not. I bet you just delete
them, or store them somewhere...wirelessly.

Hmmmm...

I like to sell the books I don't fall in love with at used bookstores or half.com. If fact, most of the books I buy are used...and cheap (less than $9.99); I never pay full price.

Hmmmm...

But, I LOVE to read and it would be awesome to always have hundreds of books at my fingertips, wouldn't it? Except, I barely have time to read a book or two a month. Let's say I live another 41 years and I continue to read a couple of books a month. That means I've got another 984 books to read in my lifetime...but, the Kindle holds 1500 books. More than I'll probably be able to read in my lifetime. It would be a shame to not use the Kindle to its full potential...

Hmmmm...

Could Dear Hubby have been right? I don't need a Kindle? He said I would miss the feel and smell of a book; that cuddling up with a Kindle just couldn't please me as much as cuddling with a book does. I mean, I'd be really worried about dropping the Kindle in the bath...I do like to read in the bubbly tub. He said that I love to go to bookstores and see the books, read the back covers, see what others are reading (and let's face it, get a fancy coffee). I do like to see what others are reading and the expressions on their faces while they read. I wouldn't be able to tell what they were reading on a Kindle...

Hmmmm...

I do like feeling the pages turn, revealing what was hidden until that moment. I like bookmarks, especially the magnet ones. Would Pride and Prejudice read the same wirelessly? I don't know...

Hmmmm...

Maybe I'm not a "Kindle Person" after all. Maybe all those young readers that still have time to read 1500 books are the ones who should own Kindles. I mean, maybe if I had to use public transportation everyday and had all that travel time to read; but, I live in the South. Do we even have public transportation? And, I'm a super clutz (there's a blog coming someday about that topic). I'm sure I would drop, kick, step on, sit on, just plain break my Kindle...if I had one.

Hmmmm...

I'm sure they're overrated. I mean, I've only talked to a few people who have one. Sure, they LOVE theirs, and it's changed their lives, they never go anywhere without it, blah, blah, blah... There must be hundreds of people who hate their Kindles and think they were a waste of money. I don't know any of them and they seem to be really quiet about their Kindle hate, but they're out there...right?

Hmmmm...

Dear Hubby was right. I don't need a Kindle. That money could go for a new dishwasher or television or progressive lenses... I'm just being selfish. It's just a fad, right? People will come back to bound books. They will...eventually.

Hmmmm...

In the meantime, I STILL WANT A KINDLE!!! I never said I NEEDED one. Of course I don't NEED a wireless book reader...unless it also supplies oxygen and water. No one NEEDS it. It's just one of those things people buy and use that they could get along without...like the Snuggie or the Chia Pet. Selfish or not, I just WANT one! I REALLY, REALLY, WANT ONE! Forget saving trees and saving money on books. Forget page turning and clumsiness. I'll go to bookstores, have a fancy coffee, and scout out the books I want to download on my Kindle. Best of both worlds, right? I'll even ride the city bus if that's what it takes (anybody know where to catch the bus in Chattanooga?).

I want a Kindle because I love to read, because the technology is really cool, and because I don't have one. It's as simple as that.

So, I'm still suffering with Kindle envy. It could get worse. Barnes and Noble and Sony have come out with their own book readers. The competition could be good for my case...drive the prices down. Soon, everyone could have a wireless book reader; everyone but me, that is. Dear Hubby just rolls his eyes when I try to talk to him about it (okay, whine and pout about it). Can envy lead to insanity? I'll let you know...

Valentines Day is right around the corner...Dear Hubby, are you listening? Dear Hubby?

1 comment:

  1. I saw at Target that Sony has sort of the same thing for $200. As far at the I-want-it-itis I so feel your pain. :)

    ReplyDelete