Saturday, January 16, 2010

Not an up kind of week...

In my "trampoline" kind of life, this has been one of those weeks that just sucks the life out of you. Not a whole lot of "ups" this week. Not to bore you with the details, but scary medical tests on my son (he's okay, but lots of anxious waiting time this week), friends' lives falling apart, more work to do than time to do it, and a house that looks like one on that A&E show Hoarders, has taken its toll on me. And, of course, watching the terrible conditions in Haiti has made me feel thankful for what I have and broken my heart for what they don't. No disrespect to Martin Luther King, Jr., but I'm really glad to have a long weekend to pick myself up a little.


I know that Monday is supposed to be more than a day off of work, and I do plan to take a few moments to thank God for MLK and the millions of others who fought for civil rights. I am truly, truly, thankful for their hard work and sacrifice. As a history teacher, I have to look back often (well, I guess always--it is history). It's too easy to forget how far Americans have come and how far we still have to go. I hope everyone will think about that on Monday, but I think there are quite a few of us who just need a breather. 2010 has been a bruiser thus far.

Loving others may be the toughest command God gives us; especially when they hurt you, disappoint you, hurt others you love, hurt themselves, live lives you don't approve of... I don't guess it's ever been, or ever will be, easy. Few things worth doing are.

So, I'm going to "lick my wounds" this weekend and get back out there. The work will get done (late) and the house will get cleaned (okay, straightened up). I will pray for Haiti and for my hurting friends. I will look for ways to help and try to see the big picture. I'm sure Martin Luther King, Jr. would want "his" day to be spent loving others instead of just focusing on him.

Nay



Our church is working with Healing Hands International, an organization started in 1994 based out of Nashville, TN. They are already actively helping in Haiti with monetary funds, water filters, and are sending an assessement team this Saturday (today) to see how they can further impact relief efforts to provide food, clean water and building supplies. I know there are many organizations you can help through, but I'll post the link in case your looking for one. Thanks.  http://www.hhi.org/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment