Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring Reading Challenge 2010


Those of you who know me know that I LOVE to read.  Like many of you, I never have enough time to read (I would if I did absolutely no housework, cooking, grading papers, or sleeping).  Katrina @ Callapidder Days (a blog I follow-- http://callapidderdays.com/ ) asks her readers each March to post their Spring Reading Lists to encourage reading and to push herself to make time to read.  It's also a great way to find new things to read.  In June, she asks her readers to post their progress and reviews (if they wish) of the books they read.  
Well, of course I wanted to participate and would love it if you did, too.  So, if you've been meaning to get to that stack of books collecting dust on your nightstand, now's the time!  Make a list of books you want to read (or finish reading) this spring. Fiction, non-fiction, advice, how-to, YA, whatever you want is fine.  Your list can be as long or as short as you’d like. (Also, feel free to modify your list during the challenge if it’s not working for you.)  Post it, or a link to it, in the comment box below this blog.  In June, I will post a blog of my progress and reviews of the books I've finished and will invite you to do the same.   My list isn't long since it's softball season (although with "kid pitch" softball, I could probably finish several books on the bleachers), graduation season (oh, the stress!), and sinus headache season (I feel one coming on just at the mention of it).   I hope you'll join me.  It wouldn't be fun all by myself.  Please don't make me play all alone.  :)  And, be sure and brag if you'll be reading on a Kindle or other electronic book reader (see blog archive for my Kindle envy issues). 

Ready, Set,... READ!!!   
1. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout               My sister bought this book for me for Christmas and I just started it this week.  It won the Pulitzer in 2008, so I thought it was worth a read.  I'm not sure how I like it yet.  It's an odd story.  The setting is in Maine.  Thirteen stories are woven together around the title character.  She's a very complex lady and I think I might end up liking her in the end.  I'll let you know. 

2.  Love & War:  Finding the Marriage You've Dreamed Of by John and Stasi Eldredge                                                                                      Since I haven't read the book yet, I'll post a review.  From Publishers Weekly Starred Review. The Eldredges' newest book has bestseller written all over it. The pair addressed men and women separately in Wild at Heart (John) and Captivating (Stasi) and now put that knowledge together in a book on marriage. Christianity, they say, is a love story set amid war, with marriage a living, breathing portrait laid out before the eyes of the world so that they might see the story of the ages. For them, marriage is the perfect storm that brings together basic differences in men and women, individual styles of relating, sin, and brokenness. ... They are honest and forthright, never skirting a difficult issue; instead, they offer hope, insight, and their own lives as examples of what God can accomplish. Their summation of marriage: It can be done. And it is worth it. So is this book.  
I don't read a lot of books like this, although I probably should.  But, I am looking forward to this one.  I feel I should probably read Captivating and Wild at Heart, also.  My husband is a big Eldredge fan, so maybe he'll read this after me.  That's the point of a marriage book, isn't it?

3.  The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows                                                   I've had this book for awhile and am looking forward to getting to it this spring.   The word "charming" is often associated with it in the reviews I've read.  I love historical fiction, so I'm sure this will be an educational and fun read.  I find it sad that Mary Ann Shaffer died before the book, her first novel, was published.  I'm sure she would have enjoyed it's popularity and great reviews.           




4.  Maid to Match by Deeanne Gist                       This book is not released until June 1st or it would have been higher on my list.  I have read all of Deeanne Gist's books and have thoroughly enjoyed each one.  She's a great story teller and she does a lot of historical research for each book.  I'm really looking forward to this one.
 
 
 
 
I would love to post more, and I have others in the stack; but, I'm trying to be realistic.  Remember, you can update your list at anytime.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you are reading, so be sure and comment below.  Happy Spring!!!
 
Renee      

7 comments:

  1. I really liked The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I have Olive Kitteridge on my nook, but have not read it yet, might add it to my challenge list.... good luck with the challenge. It is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I have seen Olive Kitteridge on a few posts, so I've not added it to my TBR list. I am also interested in the Love & War book, so that one was added too. :) Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great list. I am reading the potato peel society this challenge as well. I need to add Olive Kitteridge to my TBR list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guernsey is a great read. You look like you've got a great list. I'm one of those who wishes I could read for a living. And hire a housekeeper just so I could sit and read. LOL. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found "Olive Kitteridge" a bit depressing. I plan to read:
    The Maeve Binch Writers' Cluby by Maeve Binchy
    Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs
    Invisible by Paul Auster
    Hold Love Strong by Matthew Goodman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by my blog.. if you're thinking of getting The Lace Reader you might want to buy it now, it's on sale at Barnes and Noble for $5.98 (Hardcover) I bought it yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adding The Last Song to my list (since Amazon hasn't delivered Love and War yet). I disliked Dear John so much that I wasn't sure I wanted to read another Sparks book anytime soon, but I gave into the intense peer pressure of my female students. Much better than I expected so far. Finished Olive Kitteridge. Very interesting. It made me think a lot about how others perceive me.

    ReplyDelete