Friday, June 25, 2010

Summer Break Reading Challenge

Because I participated in the Spring Reading Thing 2010, the amount I read between March and June really increased from my norm.  Accountability, I guess.  Once I committed to reading certain books to a bunch of bloggers, I couldn't back down.  So, I want to continue my reading pace with a new challenge.  I've decided to join the Summer Break Reading Challenge and I'm hoping some of you will join me.  It's running from June 23rd to the end of August.  You can get the details by clicking on the challenge link or here.  I want to thank KarinLibrarian for hosting.  Here's what I plan to read (in no particular order).  I hope to read more, but I don't know how I'll get through these in time.  Maybe I'll surprise myself like I did in the last challenge.

 
1.  Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese 
I'm a couple of hundred pages in this book and it's really good, and different, so far.  It has received extremely good reviews and I'll let you know how I liked it at the end of the challenge. 

  
                                  
2.  Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky
I'm intrigued that this novel was written by a Jewish woman in Paris during the German  occupation.  She died in Auschwitz in 1942.  This novel remained unknown and was not published until 64 years after her death.  It has also received amazing reviews.


3.  The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon
I've had this book for over a year, and something just keeps me from picking it up.  I'm determined to get it read this summer.  It is a murder mystery, which I rarely read, but I'm optimistic.  We'll see.


A friend from work gave me this book to read over the summer.  He loved it.  I also have another Alexie book to read, but I'm going to read this one first so I can chat with my friend.  It certainly has the strangest title of my summer reading books. 

5.  Hearts Awakening by Delia Parr
I actually won this book this spring and have looked forward to reading it this summer.  I have really started to enjoy Christian historical fiction over the past year.  I haven't read Parr before, but I see her show up on lots of to-be-read lists. 


6.  An Echo In The Darkness by Francine Rivers 
I am looking forward to reading the second book in the Mark of the Lion series.  Ever since I read Redeeming Love a couple of years ago, I have loved Francine Rivers.  She's an amazing writer and I'm sure this book won't disappoint. 

7.  Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
I CANNOT WAIT to read this book when it comes out in August.  I devoured The Hunger Games and Catching Fire last winter.  It's been too long a wait for this final book of the trilogy.


8.  Love and War: Finding the Marriage You've Dreamed Of by John and Stasi Eldredge 

This is the book that got bumped off my spring reading list.  I need to make more of an effort to read Christian non-fiction, but I enjoy fiction so much that those books jump to the top of the to-be-read stacks.  I've got a big stack of non-fiction to work through, so this will be the first one to tackle.  I'm sure it's great.  My hubby loves John Eldredge, so maybe he'll want to read it, too (I think that's the idea of a marriage book, huh?) 


Jump on board and read as much or little as you want.  I love seeing what other people are reading.  If you join the challenge, leave me a comment.  If you don't join the challenge, leave me a comment.  I like getting comments.  Happy Reading!!!   

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining the challenge. I can't wait for Mockingjay either.
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had Suite Francaise in my shopping cart (amazon) for a while now...I'm just itching to read it, but have to restrain my ordering until we move. I will look forward to knowing how you like it. And then I will click, "Place your order. " :)

    P.S. I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read The Mark of the Lion series yet. I enjoy Francine Rivers' books so much. I think quite a few of these titles need to go on my wish list. I think they will make for great summer reading! Good luck on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads-up on a summer challenge! I decided to join too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm waiting patiently for Mockingjay too! Loved the Mark of the Lion series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I joined some challenges last year and only completed a few! :) So this year I made sure not to join too many.

    Ooh, I still haven't read Hunger Games and Catching Fire. They seem to be getting good reviews!

    ReplyDelete