Thursday, July 8, 2010

100 Word Review: The Lone Ranger And Tonto Fistfight In Heaven



(I have decided to try something new. As I finish reading a book, I'm going to review it here in 100 words...exactly. I don't like to read long, drawn-out, spoiler, book reviews, so you won't find that here. I should hopefully be able to persuade you to read, or not read, a book in 100 words. I have found book reviews to be a lot like politics: both sides are right and wrong...and wordy. Those who like a book are right, except to those who disliked it. Those who dislike a book are right, except to those who liked it. So, whether I like a book or not, 100 words is all you get. And, I promise not to give away too much of the story. Here we go... )


The Lone Ranger And Tonto Fistfight In Heaven by Sherman Alexie

Twenty-four interlinked stories that take place in and around the Spokane Indian Reservation.


If you've seen the movie Smoke Signals, you'll recognize many characters.


The Introduction is a must-read (hilarious). 


Brutally honest.

Rough, but often sweet.


Funny at times.  Profoundly sad in between.


Alcohol...Anger...Basketball...BIA...
Crazy Horse...Despair...Diet Pepsi...
Dogs...Dreams...Drugs...Drunkenness...Fireworks...
Fry Bread...Hopelessness...Humiliation...Laughter...
Racism...Tradition

Dark.

A LOT of bad language (too much for me). 
Disruptive to the stories, in my opinion.

Favorite story: Indian Education

I wanted to like this book.  I tried.  I couldn't.

Maybe you will.

(100)

No comments:

Post a Comment