Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A little quiz...

Okay, this is an interactive post.  Sally over at Queenie & the Dew posted this great reader's quiz and challenged others to answer the questions and post them.  The questions and my answers are below.  I would love for you to answer any/all of the questions in a post and provide a link in the comments.  (Or, you can just answer in the comments if you don't want to post it.)  I always find it interesting what others are reading/have read/want to read/loved/hated... 

Don't be shy.  Jump right in.  Nobody's "grading" these answers.  Everyone gets at "A+" for effort. 

The "Quiz":

1.  What are you reading right now?
I just started Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky

2.  Do you have any idea what you’ll read when you’re done with that?
Either An Echo In The Darkness by Francine Rivers or The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon.

3.  What five books have you always wanted to read but haven’t got round to?
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
Sophie's Choice by William Styron

4.  What magazines do you have in your bathroom/lounge right now?
Family Circle, Good Housekeeping, Woman's Day, Shape, Ladies Home Journal, All You

5.  What’s the worst thing you have ever read?
That's a tough one.  I don't read a lot of things that aren't reviewed well on Amazon.  But, I recently read Dear John by Nicholas Sparks and thought it was pretty terrible.
 
6.  What book seems really popular but you actually hated?
Well, see # 5.  I also really disliked Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.  I thought it was gross and horrible most of the book.  I wanted all the characters to die horrible deaths.  :)  It seems that I'm in the minority since it is critically acclaimed and receives great reader reviews.
 
7.  What’s the one book you always recommend to just about everyone?
Can I have two?  I guess so since it's my blog.  :)

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
East of Eden by John Steinbeck

8.  What are your favourite poetry books?
The Poetry of Robert Frost:  The Collected Poems, Complete and Unabridged
Where the Sidewalk Ends and Falling Up by Shel Silverstein

9.  Admit it, the librarians at your library know you on a first name basis, don’t they?
Not a chance.  I don't love the library.  I LOVE book stores.  I don't want to "borrow" a book that other people have already smudged.  I know...I'm a book snob.  I like to be the first to read a book and that's tough at the library.  I also keep a book forever if I love it.  The library has really picky rules about that.

10.  Do you read books while you eat? While you bathe? While you watch movies or TV? While you listen to music? While you’re on the computer?
Yes to all of the above and, sometimes, at red lights.  :)

11.  When you were little, did you have any particular reading habits?
My Mom would make me go outside to play.  I would take a book and read under a big tree inside a Honeysuckle bush.  Ahhh... the smell.  I still love the scent of Honeysuckle.

12.  What’s the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn’t put it down?
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

13.  Have you ever “faked” reading a book?
In 9th grade, I "faked" reading Wuthering Heights.  In college, I went back and actually read it.  I loved it.

14.  Have you ever bought a book just because you liked the cover?
I loved the paperback cover of Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese.
It was also fabulous on the inside. 

15.  What was your favourite book when you were a child?
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.  My 5th grade Language Arts teacher read it to us every Friday.  She never got through it without crying.  Neither have I.
I also loved the Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden series, Where the Red Fern Grows, and A Wrinkle in Time

16.  What book changed your life?
Simplest question on the quiz:  The Bible.

17.  What is your favourite passage from a book?
Such a hard question, but I found this passage from The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver to be particularly poignant and memorable. 

"A first child is your own best foot forward, and how you do cheer those little feet as they strike out. You examine every turn of flesh for precocity, and crow it to the world. But the last one: the baby who trails her scent like a flag of surrender through your life when there will be no more coming after--oh, that' s love by a different name."

18.  What are your top five favourite authors?
John Steinbeck
Jane Austen
Suzanne Collins
Francine Rivers
Khaled Hosseini

19.  What book has no one heard about but should read?
The Far Pavillions by M.M. Kaye

20.  What books are you an “evangelist” for?
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

21.  What is your favourite book by a first-time author?
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

22.  What is your favourite classic book?
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen

The End.

Now I'm ready to see your answers.  Please send the link to the quiz to your friends and family to take, too.  The more the merrier.

Renee

4 comments:

  1. i will get right on it. but 1st i have to do it and mail it to her and then i will post it on my blog.

    and also DEFINITLY read The Little Prince and anything from Maragret Atwood! AAAAAmazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Renee- Been enjoying your blog. Afraid the quiz will take away form all the valuable time I waste on Facebook but wanted to say "Amen" to Francine Rivers, Margaret Atwood, (I have read all hers and the Handmaid's Tale is really something)East of Eden, and also tell you about my latest great read, "Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Annie Barrows. Loved it. Still, "Pride and Prejudice" rules for all time best. And there's my 2 cents! Love ya, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the HandMaid's Tale :)

    I'm also reading A Thousand Splendid Suns and really enjoying it. What great answers :)

    Sally xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've awarded you the One Lovely Blogger Award! Here is the link:

    http://dragonflowersandbooks.blogspot.com/2010/09/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    I really like reading your posts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete