Monday, October 18, 2010

100 Word Review: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

For awhile, I thought I was the only person that had not read this book.  But, since it is still on the New York Times top ten best seller list I guess I'm not.  I only recently found out that Stieg Larsson died in 2004 after writing the Millennium Trilogy (Dragon is the first of the three novels).  I also read that he, at 15, witnessed a horrific crime against a young woman and never forgave himself for not being able to help her.  That pain and regret is obvious in this novel.  Larsson was definitely a talented storyteller.  Let me say, this is NOT a book for teens.  At 41, I'm not sure I'm old enough for some of this story.  Downright creepy.  Here's my 100 word review of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.

Not your typical crime thriller.
Hard to get into.  It took 7 chapters to find the story (actually 3 stories) at all interesting.
Lots of characters, some of them lifeless, with difficult Swedish names.
There is a geneology page (thankfully) to help out.



Suspenseful...
Complex...
Intense...
Intriguing...
Violent...
Graphic...
Disturbing...

A mysterious disappearance.
Unspeakable family secrets.
Contractual obligations.
Corporate warfare.
Revenge.

Fascinating peek into elements of Swedish society.

A bit overrated and over-the-top at times, but a very interesting story.

I'm glad I didn't quit in the first 100 pages, but I'm not sure I'll read the sequels. 

(100) 

1 comment:

  1. You continue to inspire me my friend. I'm not an avid reader by any stretch but have almost completed the 3rd book of Francine Rivers "The Mark of the Lion" series. Life changing! I stole your idea of 100 word book reviews and tried it myself. But don't worry, I gave you full credit :). http://julieowen3.blogspot.com/2010/10/finished-voice-in-wind.html. My review for the second one is posting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete