I turned 42 yesterday. I got my hair cut. We went out to eat and to a movie. My 3 year old didn't throw food or burp loudly. I got a zebra Snuggie (with pockets!) and a Starbucks gift card. I slept well. It was a nice day.
A few of my friends have read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I'm not a big sci-fi fan, so I haven't read it or seen the movie. When one of my friends found out I was about to be 42 she said that "42 is the Answer to the Ultimate Question, the Universe, and Everything." Apparantly there's a big deal about the number 42 in the book.
So, I guess I'm supposed to be super intelligent now.......for one year.
I can deal with that.
And, since I'm so amazingly genius-like, I thought you needed to benefit from my awesomeness.
I have compiled for you two lists of 42 brilliant suggestions.
The first list is 42 books I'm so glad I read (which means you should definitely read them...because I'm 42 and the answer to everything...including which books you should read).
The second list is 42 movies I'm happy I watched (which means you should watch them...you get it by now).
This is by no means a complete list of all the books and movies you should experience, but I have this 42 thing going on.
The lists are in random order (spat out as I remembered them).
Feel free to reorder them to your inferior preference.
I will read any suggestions you leave in a comment for a movie to watch or a book to see, but I'll wait until I'm 43 to do it.
42 Books I’m so glad I read:
1. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
2. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
3. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
4. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
5. Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
6. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
7. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
8. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
9. The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
10. Where the Red Fern Grows by Winston Rawls
11. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
12. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
13. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
14. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer
15. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
16. A Time to Kill by John Grisham
17. A Lesson Before Dying by Ernest Gaines
18. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
19. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
20. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
21. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
22. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
23. The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye
24. The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory
25. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
26. Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
27. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
28. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
29. The Shining by Stephen King
30. Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
31. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
32. The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brian
33. A Bride Most Begrudging by DeeAnne Gist
34. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engel
35. The Giver by Lois Lowry
36. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
37. The Red Tent by Anita Diamont
38. Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
39. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
40. Oh the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss
41. Same Kind Of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
42. The Green Mile by Stephen King
42 Movies I’m so glad I saw:
3. Forrest Gump
4. The Princess Bride ("As you wish.....!)
5. The Shawshank Redemption
7. The Godfather (trilogy) (especially the 2nd--DeNiro and Pacino!)
8. The Lord of the Rings (trilogy)
9. Pride and Prejudice
12. Fried Green Tomatoes
13. Steel Magnolias
15. Sea Biscuit
16. Apollo 13
17. The Last of the Mohicans
18. Million Dollar Baby
19. Cinderella Man
20. Sleepless in Seattle
21. Remember the Titans
22. Star Wars
23. The Empire Strikes Back
24. Return of the Jedi
28. Field of Dreams
29. Dances With Wolves
30. Gone With the Wind
31. Say Anything
32. Schindler’s List
33. The Lion King
34. Finding Nemo
35. The Silence of the Lambs
37. The Pianist
38. The Sound of Music
39. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
42. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
What do you think?
How many have you read/seen?
What should be #43 on each list?
42 minutes ago