Sunday, December 5, 2010

100 Word Review: The Confession

It's been a long time since I've read a John Grisham novel.  I used to read them as soon as they hit the shelves, but I guess I just got out of my Grisham phase somewhere around the time I had my first child.  I preordered this book on my Kindle about a month before it came out.  Honestly, it was just fun to preorder a book and know that it "arrived" at midnight on the day of its release.  It took me a while to read because of grad school papers, full time job stuff, and, oh yeah, parenting.  But, I'm glad I read The Confession.  It's classic Grisham with a bit of a twist.  Fair warning:  if you are a death penalty proponent, you'll be challenged.  If, like me, you struggle with the death penalty, your reasons for opposing it will be strengthened.  Sadly, I think The Confession is more fact than fiction.  It's a good legal thriller.  See what you think.  Here's my 100 word review.

100 Word Review:  The Confession by John Grisham

Innocent but "proven" guilty in a court of law.
Racism...
Perjury...
A forced confession...
A life ruined...
A family torn apart...


A lawyer determined to stop his client's execution.
A preacher forced to break the law to try to save a life.
The real killer decides to tell the truth, but is it too late?

Suspenseful...Painful...Gritty...Real...Believable

A close-up look at the U.S. justice system through the eyes of an innocent man.
How do you defend yourself against a lie?
Is anyone innocent until proven guilty?

Not Grisham's best, but a very readable, emotional, challenging, story.

(100)


     

No comments:

Post a Comment