Thursday, December 23, 2010

100 Word Review: The Graveyard Book

I don't read a lot of YA literature.  It's not that I don't like YA, but my to-be-read list is huge and very little of it is YA.  I know of a lot of avid readers and bloggers who read mostly YA, and after reading Neil Gaiman's Newbery Award winning The Graveyard Book, I can see why.  If this is a typical YA book, I'm switching genres. 
I decided to read this book because my almost eleven-year-old daughter, an extremey avid reader, asked if she could read it.  I had heard the book was a bit "controversial" (whatever that means these days), so I told her I would read it and decide if it was right for her.  Even though the beginning and end of the book are a bit scary, this is not a horror book.  It's really a retelling of a children's classic.  I think my bookworm daughter will thoroughly enjoy it, as I did.  I plan to read more Gaiman.  He's a very talented storyteller.  And, guess what?  No vampires! 

Here's my 100 word review of The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.

Three murders...not four.

A knife-wielding man named Jack.

An orphan without a name...a real Nobody.

Raised and protected by the residents of the graveyard.

Isolated, but never alone.  Safe among the dead.
 
The man named Jack, somewhere outside the graveyard gates, waits for Nobody.

An amazing cast of characters, dead and alive.

Funny...Sad...
Eerie...Creepy...
Whimsical...Clever...
Mysterious...Suspenseful...
Charming...

A mature, deep, emotional story with beautiful language that makes the reader learn to live from the lessons of the dead.

Rudyard Kipling would enjoy this modern and crafty retelling of his classic, The Jungle Book.

(100)







    

1 comment:

  1. i just read this book and I loved it too. It's good to see you're going to give YA a shot...I love YA in almost every genre.

    New follower...

    demitrialunetta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete