Wednesday, December 15, 2010

100 Word Review: Pearl in the Sand

I had never heard of Pearl in the Sand by Tessa Afshar until my BFF, amazon.com, recommended it to me because amazon.com loves me and wants me to be happy (and knows what purchases I've made over the past fifteen years).  I added it to my ever growing wish list and forgot all about it.  But, it just wouldn't seem to go away.  I kept seeing it on people's "must read" lists and decided to bump it up to the top of my own list.  I'm really glad I did.  I thoroughly enjoyed this account of Rahab (yes, that Rahab).  The story of Joshua and the walls of Jericho is one of my favorite Bible stories.  It's always seemed odd to me that Rahab chose to save the Israelite spies.  This historic Biblical work of fiction made this story really come alive.  You should add it to your "must read" list soon.  Here's my 100 word review.

100 Word Review:  Pearl in the Sand

 A future believed lost to save her family.
A Canaanite harlot...disgraced and full of shame.



Impenetrable Jericho walls and an inpenetrable human heart.  Neither can keep out the one true God.

Two spies...
stalks of flax on a rooftop...
a lie...
a promise...
a scarlet cord...
an entire family saved...

Falling in love...impossible?
Being worthy of love and forgiveness...how can that be?

A beautiful story of the span of God's love and forgiveness and how He can use anyone from anywhere to fulfill His plans. 
Maybe this fictional interpretation is Rahab's real story.
I hope so.

(100)

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea of a 100 word review! I used to do occasional 4 word or 8 word reviews but I haven't done that in a while. This one was very poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I don't think I have the talent to do this, although I DO make certain not to include spoilers when I review!

    ReplyDelete