Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Fall Into Reading 2010 Wrap-up



Another big thanks to Katrina @ Callapidder Days for hosting this annual challenge.  I can't wait to see everyone else's conquered lists.  Mine is longer than I expected (mainly because I don't want to read my grad school books--BORING!).  Here's my original list

I've reviewed, in exactly 100 words, each one of the books I finished on this blog as I finished them:  World Without End, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, On Folly Beach, Her Mother's Hope, The Confession, and Pearl in the Sand




Katrina asked the questions below of her Fall Challenge participants.  I'm happy to oblige.  Also, I'm looking forward to the spring challenge.  You should give it a go, too.   

1,  Did you finish reading all the books on your fall reading list? If not, why not?
I read 3 of the 4 on my original list.  I'm reading two that were not on my original list now.  I plan to read Sworn to Silence next, but I bumped it for a couple of others along the way.
2.  Did you stick to your original goals or did you change your list as you went along?
My goal was set low because of the business this time of year, but I was able to add a couple of books. 

3.  What was your favorite book that you read this fall? Least favorite? Why?
They were all very different and I liked them all, but I really enjoyed Pearl in the Sand above the others.    The story is just captivating and I couldn't put it down.  My least favorite is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  It took way too long to become interesting.  Maybe it was the translation. 


4.  Did you discover a new author or genre this fall? Did you love them? Not love them?
Tessa Afshar (Pearl in the Sand) is definitely someone I plan to read again.  She's a great storyteller.  I love historical fiction, but Biblical historical fiction is becoming one of my favorite genres.


5.  Did you learn something new because of Fall Into Reading 2010 – something about reading, about yourself, or about a topic you read about? 
I learned more about the imbalance and inconsistencies of the U.S. justice system concerning the death penalty in The Confession.  I learned a lot about Israelite culture in Pearl in the Sand.  I'm still really, really, glad that I wasn't born in the 1300s (World Without End).  I've decided to get a bottle tree in my backyard after reading On Folly Beach.  And, I sympathized and related to the mother in Her Mother's Hope and want to make sure my daughter feels my love each day because of the relationship presented in that great story.

6.  What was your favorite thing about the challenge?
No pressure!  It's just for people who enjoy to read at the pace they want to read.  I also enjoyed the weekly questions Katrina emailed to the participants.  How different people are!  I'm looking forward to the Spring challenge.  I guess I'll be catching up on my grad school reading until then.  Blah!

6 comments:

  1. I love reading your reviews... straight and to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reviews are great. I have such a hard time writing them. Maybe I need to practice more. I am adding Pearl in the Sand to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ellen. Ilene--I don't like book reviews that make you feel like you've already read the book, so 100 words is my limit. It can be challenging at times, but at least I'm not giving away the entire storyline. I try to write down a few statements while I'm reading so when it's time to write the review I have some jumping off points. You will LOVE Pearl in the Sand. I hope to read more of Afshar soon. Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Pearl in the Sand in my TBR list - I think you picked great books for this challenge - World Without End is on my I-Must-Read-Before-I-Die list (that's the list with the really really good books that I don't have yet!) ... WTG on the challenge! I'm going to have to read some of your reviews now to see how you do it in 100 words :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Pearl in the Sand on my TBR too. I did not have it finished in time for the book tour. It looks interesting so hopefully I will have time in the new year to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of Pearl in the Sand -- I'll have to check it out. Thanks so much for being part of the challenge!

    ReplyDelete