Sunday, February 27, 2011

100 Word Review: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

I cannot recall how or when I ended up with this book.  Well, since it is on my Kindle, I obviously purchased it at some point (probably when my Kindle was new and it was oh-so-fun to download books....it's actually still really fun to download books...way too fun).  I'm sure amazon.com suggested it to me based on my buying history, which is why I'm a bit confused:  this book is like nothing I've read in a long while.  Too long a while.  So, once again, amazon.com knows me better than I know myself.  The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley is a rare find.  I found it completely delightful and entertaining.  I didn't think books like this were written anymore!  I'm so glad Alan Bradley, as a new novelist at seventy years of age, decided to write it.  I'm also delighted that there are two other books in the Flavia de Luce series.  I will definitely read them soon.  By the way, one of the best things about this book is Bradley's mastery of the English language.  I must have used my Kindle dictionary thirty times throughout this book, so get your Webster's ready if you don't have an e-reader with a built in dictionary.  It made me long for Americans to speak like the characters in this book...with a British accent, of course.  This old-fashioned murder mystery is wonderful and would make a great book club read.  Be sure to pick it up (or load it down). 
Here's my 100 word review of The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley.

A sleepy English village...
An eleven-year-old sleuth, obsessed with chemistry...particularly poisons...

A reclusive, widowed father...lonely and haunted...
A loyal jack-of-all-trades...

A dead bird...a one-of-a-kind stamp...a blackmail attempt...a body in the cucumber patch...and a bicycle named Gladys...

Flavia de Luce is precocious, fearless, intelligent, independent, and just a bit mean-spirited. 
Sherlock Holmes, Agatha Christie, and Nancy Drew rolled into one.

A throwback mystery without gore, over-the-top violence, sex, and rough language.
 
The humor is palpable...and very British.

Absolutely refreshing and completely charming.
 
Fabulous!

(100) 










       

1 comment:

  1. I am new here! Would love if you come visit and follow me too! Have a beautiful day! :) Shauna

    ReplyDelete