Saturday, February 19, 2011

100 Word Review: When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead is a middle-grade (5th-8th) novel set in New York City in the late 1970s (ahhhhh....those were the days).  This novel may be aimed at middle-grade readers, but adults will love it.  It is as much mystery as it is science fiction, but it really doesn't matter what genre you want to assign it:  it's just plain great.  I have told my eleven year old daughter that she will be reading this book soon...right after she reads A Wrinkle in Time (my first and favorite sci-fi novel).  No, you don't have to have read Wrinkle to enjoy this book, but if you have read Wrinkle, When You Reach Me is even more enjoyable.  It makes me want to read Wrinkle again....in 1979.  I also think they should bring back the $20,000 Pyramid.  I loved that show. 

Here's my 100 word review of When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead.

A 6th grade "latch-key kid"...
She's read A Wrinkle in Time dozens of times...
Her mom is going to be a contestant on $20,000 Pyramid...
Her best friend doesn't want to be friends anymore...

Now she has to pass by the crazy laughing man alone on her walk to and from school...
And, someone has been leaving hidden futuristic notes for her...

Nostaligic...Magical...Poetic...Clever...Sophisticated...Realistic...

Richly drawn characters...Beautifully woven story...Age-accurate voices...

Is time travel possible?
I, as the reader, was transported back to 1979, so I guess it is.

Well deserved Newberry winner.

(100)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book - and great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this book displayed at the bookstore. I had no idea it was a "kids" book (which, I admit, I sometimes love more than books geared toward my own age). Gonna have to read this...eventually!

    ReplyDelete