Wednesday, April 11, 2012

I bet you read faster than me...

Here's an interesting way to kill a few minutes. This test will tell you how fast you read on an e-reader. I only scored 342 words per minute, which isn't very fast (...equal to 11th grade students, which is really disturbing considering many of them HATE to read).
I think I had test anxiety...
and my eyes are tired and full of pollen...
and I'm in the same room as a distracting 4 year old...
and I have undiagnosed adult onset ADD.

The good news is that, if I could sustain this reading speed, I could read:

ereader testWar and Peace by Leo Tolstoy in 28 hours and 37 minutes
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling in 3 hours and 45 minutes
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien in 23 hours and 19 minutes
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller in 8 hours and 30 minutes
Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell in 4 hours and 20 minutes
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand in 15 hours and 11 minutes
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck in 8 hours and 16 minutes
Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper in 7 hours and 5 minutes
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens in 6 hours and 36 minutes
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain in 5 hours and 20 minutes
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte in 5 hours and 16 minutes
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee in 4 hours and 50 minutes
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger in 3 hours and 35 minutes
The Color Purple by Alice Walker in 3 hours and 15 minutes
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Remarque in 3 hours and 1 minute
Lord of the Flies by William Golding in 2 hours and 55 minutes
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll in 1 hour and 17 minutes
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum in 1 hour and 55 minutes
The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells in 2 hours and 57 minutes
The Bible in 37 hours and 54 minutes

I guess that's good news.  I've read many of these books and I'm pretty sure it took me a LOT longer.  A whole lot longer.  
Click on the above picture and take the e-reader speed test provided by Staples.
Read normal (no cheating!).
Leave me a comment telling me how you did. 
I bet you  read faster than me, but you can't love reading any more than I do (even if I am a slow poke).

--Renee--

3 comments:

  1. I did it twice. First I got a 389, reading an excerpt from War and Peace that made no sense. I only got 2 out of 3 on the comprehension test. Then I got a 445, reading an excerpt from Alice in Wonderland that I have read in the past. I got a 3 out of 3 on that comprehension test and wished I could've kept reading it. :)
    I definitely think your score would depend on what you are reading! Try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was War of the Worlds, not War and Peace. See? I really wasn't paying attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you like to read, I wondered if you might be interested in learning more about cryptic crosswords. If so, this is a link to a post I did recently on cryptic crossword clues that involve anagrams. Cryptic Crossword Clues - Anagrams

    ReplyDelete