Monday, December 24, 2012

2013 TBR Pile Challenge

I have decided to join the 2013 TBR Pile Challenge hosted by Roof Beam ReaderI was thrilled to stumble on this challenge.  It's exactly the push I need for my 2013 reading goals.
 
 
The Goal: To finally read 12 books from your “to be read” pile (within 12 months).
Each of these 12 books must have been on your bookshelf or “To Be Read” list for AT LEAST one full year. This means the book cannot have a publication date of 1/1/2012 or later (any book published in the year 2011 or earlier qualifies, as long as it has been on your TBR pile).


I have always struggled with having WAY more books than I will ever have time to read.  I've joked that I just want to live long enough to read what is currently on my Kindle.  I could possibly read all of the books I own if I read 18 hours a day for 40+ years.  Considering that I do have a full-time+ job, two children, three dogs, and a hubby, I don't think that's a reasonable goal.  So, how about knocking out at least 12 of these shelf-sitters in 2013?  
The books I've chosen for this challenge are ones I was really excited to purchase, but never actually got around to reading.  Some have been on my shelf for much more than a year.  Sadly, I probably have another 25-30 books that I could have chosen for this challenge and at least a dozen published in 2012.  I guess I'll add them to the 2014 list.

Below is my master list for the challenge.  I will most likely not read them in the order listed.  I will be updating as I finish each one, so stay tuned. 

1.  The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (publication date April 7, 2009)
2.  The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (September 9, 2008)
3.  The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness (September 8, 2009)
4.  Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness (September 28, 2010)
5.  Looking for Alaska by John Green (December 28, 2006)
6.  State of Wonder by Ann Patchett (June 7, 2011)  Finished 01/13/13
7.  Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel (October 13, 2009)
8.  If I Stay by Gayle Forman (April 2, 2009)
9.  The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey (September 22, 2009)
10.  Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See (February 21, 2006)
11.  Redfield Farm:  A Novel of the Underground Railroad by Judith Redline Coopey (August 3, 2010)
12. Mary and O'Neil: A Novel in Stories by Justin Cronin (January 29, 2002)

My two alternates in case any of the above prove to be "unreadable":
1.  The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (September 11, 2007)--I know, I know.  I'm the only person on earth who hasn't read this book. 
2.  Down River by John Hart (October 2, 2007)

I really had to work to narrow down my TBR pile to these 12.  I've changed it 4 times already.  If I took any more time to write this, I'd probably change the list again. 
 
I do hope to read at least 30 books in 2013, so I'd better get started.  If you would like to join this challenge (and I really think you should), just click on the link above for Roof Beam Reader and sign up. 

Happy New Year and Happy Reading!
--Renee-- 


 

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read The Book Thief yet, either! So ashamed. I hear good things about Wolf Hall (had my eye on it for a while) and I really enjoyed Patrick Ness's A Monster Calls. Looking for Alaska is a great one! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Forgotten Garden was one of my favorite books of 2012. The Book Thief is one of my all time favorites, and I really liked Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I haven't heard of the rest of them but now I'm curious. :)

    ReplyDelete