Sunday, December 23, 2012

Fall Into Reading Wrap-up

Thanks again to Katrina for hosting the Fall Into Reading Challenge.  I was pretty successful with my list (original post), but didn't finish everything.  Thank goodness for Audible.com or I wouldn't have finished as many.  Here's my wrap up...


Fiction
The Witness by Nora Roberts:  I liked this book, but I didn't love it. It was a little predictable. This was my first Nora Roberts book and I do think I will read more. 3.5/5 stars
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (faculty book club October selection):  I ADORED this book.  It was beautiful.  I have recommended it to many, including my 12 year old daughter.  Fabulous book.  5/5 stars 
A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron:  I thought this was so-so.  I have 3 dogs, so I guess I am a "dog person".  I just didn't get into this book.  3/5 stars
Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2) by Ken Follett:  Great second book in The Century Trilogy.  Follett is a master storyteller and I always learn so much from his epic historical fiction.  I'm looking forward to the final book in the series.  4.5/5 stars 
The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker:  I found this book to be delightful.  I really had no idea what to expect, but I ended up loving this book.  It seemed so realistic, especially for a dystopian novel.  I can understand the buzz around this book.  Excellent read.  4.5/5 stars
Mary and O'Neil: A Novel in Stories by Justin Cronin:  I didn't get to this one.  It's on my winter reading list now.  I also have The Twelve on my winter list, so I guess I'll be spending a fair amount of time with Justin Cronin in the next few months.
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey:  Very interesting adult fairy tale.  I liked the first 1/2 better than the second.  I'm still not sure how I feel about the way the book ended.  Very well written.  3.5/5 stars

Nonfiction
Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption by Katie J. Davis (faculty book club November selection):  Katie Davis is an amazing young woman.  This book tells an incredible story and makes you ask a lot of questions of yourself.  The writing is young and fresh, but a bit repetitive in parts.  Definitely a worthwhile read.  4/5 stars 
The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brene Brown:  I enjoyed this book, especially the writing style of Brene Brown.  What an interesting life and career Dr. Brown has had.  I think most could benefit from her well researched ideas of how to embrace imperfections.  3.5/5 stars
Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas:  I have not finished this book.  It's massive and very detailed.  I'm not giving up on it, but I have had a bit of trouble sticking with it.
Pathways to the Common Core: Accelrating Achievement by Lucy Calkins, et al:  I haven't finished this book, either.  I will have to read it for work, so it's staying on the TBR list.


I'm looking forward to the 2013 Spring challenge and am already compiling my list.  Happy reading, all.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

--Renee--

No comments:

Post a Comment