Sunday, January 20, 2013

Book Review: The Knife of Never Letting Go

After reading A Monster Calls back in October, I knew I wanted to get my hands on more novels by Patrick Ness.  I had no idea what I was getting myself into!  The Knife of Never Letting Go is a roller coaster ride with little chance to catch your breath.  There were a few times I was actually physically tired because of what was going on in the story.  Don't plan on reading this one for a few minutes before bed.  You won't be able to put it down.

From Amazon.com: 
Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

Easy comparisons to The Hunger Games and the Divergent series can be made, but Knife is a unique and creative dystopian novel with a bit more sci-fi than these others.  It's gritty, dark, and intense, but holds just enough hope and optimism to keep the reader totally off-balance.  The ending is a merciless cliffhanger, so I'm really glad I already own the rest of the series.  You will not want to let go of this novel or the characters you meet.

5/5 stars for The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness      

1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge Patrick Ness fan (although I didn't care that much for A MONSTER CALLS, actually) because of this series. It's AMAZING. I'm so glad you discovered it!

    ReplyDelete