Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Book Review: State of Wonder

  The first book I've completed in 2013 is State of Wonder by Ann Patchett.  I wish I had amazing things to say about it, but it was just....dare I say it...average. 
  Patchett wrote one of my all-time favorite books, Bel Canto, so I really wanted to love this book.  I didn't love it.  It just never grabbed me. I kept waiting to get to the good part, but there wasn't really a good part.  I have rarely ever, and I mean ever, not finished a book...but I was tempted at times to quit this one.  I am glad I finished it and I will certainly read other Patchett novels. 
  Patchett loves exotic locations and characters.  She had those in State of Wonder, but the story just never took off for me.  Many have given it excellent reviews, but I was never engrossed by State of Wonder.   
  If you are interested in scientific research for major drug companies, fertility drugs for women well past the age of fifty, and/or the Amazon jungle, this may be a book you will enjoy.  Definitely read Bel Canto.  It's amazing.


3/5 stars for State of Wonder

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree, Bel Canto is by far the better book. I listened to this on audio and enjoyed it, but not sure I would have stuck out the slow bits if I had been reading it.
    thanks for sharing
    martine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well. I actually gave up reading it! I might just have to check out Bel Canto though.

    ReplyDelete